betterthanispeak

Time is running! And i gotta move. Wasted minutes, days, and years, no more! These are my thoughts about trying to live a better life. It is one in which my own strenth and beauty bewilders me. Where the ptbo trio rock the sweetest most raddest advetures i have ever been on. One where i am realizing who i am now, and who i will be next. I dont stop searching. Neither should you. So read on, welcome to the crazy life and dreams of Melissa Sharon Russell.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

hello everyone!

I know i am a disapointment already in terms of the writing thing, but i will try to do better! The days seem soo long here, but i generally can only get one or two things done in a day, outside of school and being home for dinner, and then going out! lol

School has started and as dan said last year, it is nice to finally have some routine. Right now we are going twi classes, ghanian history and african history. Its easy so far, since most of it is just review (thank you tim stapleton). The teachers are really great! especially our twi teacher kofi, who is always shoutin, praise the lord! hallaluha! when we say stuff right!

Being in Ghana is fanastic, though i did have my first cry the other day. I guess i didnt realize how i was adjusting. You have to pay attention to how you are feeling or else it will just well up on you and expode! Someone said a comment to me, which at home would have been rude, and i just lost it. I went to school and my friend kwaku, explained what it mean here, i just started balling. its was soo embarassing. i couldnt stop. lol. but it was just kind of a outpour and then i felt much better. No problems since.

Its definately hard making friends here, althought i have made quite a few. because we are soo high alert about safety etc etc, we are often too suspicious of people we meet and it kills the mood. Same with boys here. I get hit on, all day, everyday, but you know that most of them arent serious, they just think misconceptions about you, like you can get them to canada, or you have money. Although, i have met one friend who is a boy, and he is a very nice gentlemen. lol keep you posted on that one.

Despite, the constant male attention, ghanians are the friendliest people i have ever met. They are always helping me out when i am lost, getting me home safe, and even sharing their meals off their plate with me. They say "you are invited" and then you can just dig in with them!

The food is awesome! Its spicy and there arent many veggies which is sweet! Everyday is soo exciting becuase we are always finding cool local chop bars and little markets to eat it, its always an adventure.

so is driving....

tro tros are awesome, its like 20 cents for a long trip, but you are cramped in this old VW camper bus type thing, and its soo hot, but its cheap and i find them exciting. LAst night, our taxi driver had his lights fail while we were driving home, but because we were all girls and it was late, he wanted to make sure we got home safe! Try driving in poor street lights with no lights on a car! now thats an adventure! Sure i could have told him to stop, but meh, i trust he didnt want to die, so we probably wouldnt have lol. Then when we got out, there was a flash rain fall, and we all got soaked. excellent night. lol

Last night, we had a nice dinnner at the chalets, with ghanian drummers and dances. I got told i dance like a ghanaian, plus i was wearing a ghanaian dress... it was a compliment for me!

Its sweet, cause i often get better prices then the other oboruni (white people) becuase i am mixed. When i tell people my dad is jamaican, they say, oh my sister, you are of my blood! I have even gotten a welcome home! hahahaha

I love it here guys! Really, i dont have much time left, but i will try to write a follow up soon!

Love you all!

Peace!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me about the crying episode - you need to let me know how you are feeling - please. Love Mom

12:29 p.m.  
Blogger .reva. said...

dude... i know a ghanian (well, half ghanian) kofi and kwaku...
kofi, i think means that you were born on a friday... and kwaku...hmm.. wednesday??
those were the names of the kids of my boss at richters.
miss you !
love me.

9:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home